Suspect Reportedly Kidnaps Woman, Dog Wrecks Car In Bizarre Crime Frenzy

KAHULUI (HawaiiNewsNow) – A 31-year-old Lahaina man remains in custody after a two-day police chase.

Maui police said Rocky Hermanns-Raymond was charged with 11 offenses including kidnapping, theft, reckless driving, resisting arrest and three counts of collision.

The MPD said the suspect stole an SUV Sunday afternoon from the Kahului Mall parking lot with a 57-year-old Kahului woman in the back seat.

Rocky Hermanns-Raymond of Lahaina, 31
Rocky Hermanns-Raymond of Lahaina, 31(Maui Police Department)

Police say the victim said at around 11:50 a.m. he was in the back seat of a parked 2020 Nissan Armada with the engine running and the doors unlocked when the suspect entered the vehicle. Despite the victim’s pleas to get out, Hermanns-Raymond continued to drive through Kahului.

Police said when the victim tried to get out of the car, Hermanns-Raymond pushed her, demanding her bag and phone. She was able to escape unharmed with her belongings about a mile down the road.

Authorities said Hermanns-Raymond followed the vehicle for a short distance before driving off in an unknown direction.

At approximately 12:50 p.m. that same day, investigators said the vehicle was later located on Luawai Street in Lahaina, where officers noticed another head moving in the SUV, which they were unable to identify at the time.

It was later revealed to be a dog. The dog was later released into the custody of the Maui Humane Society.

Shortly after, a vehicle chase took place through Lahaina and past Nakalele Point. Police said Hermanns-Raymond continued to run from officers and crashed twice before dragging the vehicle off the roadway.

According to the police report, Hermanns-Raymond exited through the driver’s door window and went over the side of the cliff, escaping on foot.

Air 1 was brought in to help with the search. Authorities said they eventually located Hermanns-Raymond about 100 to 200 feet off the Kahekili Highway, but he refused to come out of the bushes.

The 31-year-old managed to evade capture overnight.

The next morning, police said “an unknown male matching Hermanns-Raymond’s description” was observed stealing a pickup truck from a residence in Wailuku, fleeing south on the Kahekili Highway.

On Tuesday, authorities located Hermanns-Raymond at 6 a.m. near the intersection of Vineyard and North Market streets in Wailuku where he again attempted to flee on foot. The MPD said Hermanns-Raymond tried to punch an officer in the face during the arrest, but missed.

Hermanns-Raymond suffered a small laceration but refused medical treatment, law enforcement officials said. No other injuries were reported.

An investigation remains ongoing.