House fire in McLean/Falls Church area displaces 4 residents, kills dog

MCLEAN, VA — A dog died in a Falls Church/McLean home fire and four residents were moved Wednesday, according to the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue. There were no other injuries.

The fire occurred in the 6900 block of Birch Street, which has an address in Falls Church but is in the McLean area of ​​Fairfax County. Units found a fire originating from the single family home and brought the fire under control within 10 minutes.

Four people were at the house when the fire broke out. A resident woke up to the sound of dog barking and smoke detectors before discovering a fire in the kitchen. A resident attempted to rescue the dog while another called 911. All residents were evacuated before firefighters arrived.

Find out what’s happening at McLeanwith free real-time Patch updates.

Fire investigators determined that the fire originated on the after deck. The cause was an unattended barbecue/meat smoker. Damage was estimated at $156,000.

Displaced residents accepted help from the Red Cross.

Find out what’s happening at McLeanwith free real-time Patch updates.

Get more local news straight to your inbox. Sign up for free newsletters and patch alerts.

To request removal of your name from an arrest report, submit these required elements at [email protected]

Response rules:

  • Be respectful. It is a space for friendly local exchanges. No racist, discriminatory, vulgar or threatening language will be tolerated.
  • Be transparent. Use your real name and back up your claims.
  • Keep it local and relevant. Make sure your answers stay on topic.
  • Review the Patch Community Rules.