SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) — Lori Burns’ dog is lucky to be alive. On Sunday, Burns was walking along Palisades Park in Santa Monica on Ocean Avenue when his dog did something he had never done before.
“Out of nowhere, he just stopped. I looked down and he fell apart,” Burns said of his dog, named Chance the Rapper after the famous musician.
“All four legs were completely out. He was panting extremely hard. He was looking up at the sky,” Burns said.
Burns rushed to the VCA Animal Specialty and Emergency Center in West Los Angeles, where she was told her dog had a fever of 106 degrees. Afterwards, Burns was shocked to learn that Chance’s urine contained oxycodone, something he accidentally swallowed during their walk.
“He said it was really serious, and I said to the point, ‘Is he going to live?’ and he said ‘I don’t know.’ And that’s where I lost it,” Burns said.
Twenty-four hours in the hospital and $4,000 later, Chance was back home, but he’s now blind.
Veterinarian Kwane Stewart of the nonprofit Project Street Vet said Burns’ quick thought of rushing Chance to the nearest hospital likely saved his life.
“The pet’s parent is more likely to play what we call ‘Google vet’ and go to their phone and start doing some research, and trying to figure out what may be causing it. is the wrong approach,” Stewart said. “Seconds and minutes can count. You need to call a professional.”
Vets say toxicities are common in pets, and the ASPCA operates a 24-hour pet poison call center in case there isn’t a clinic nearby. This number is 888-426-4435.
“We would never want anyone to stop walking their dog or be afraid to walk their dog in a dog park because they hear this story. Just be aware. Where you walk your dog. Where he hangs out. What he re sniffing. Investigate,” Stewart said. “If you see any signs, and it can vary, but people know their dogs. They know when their behavior is off. If you observe strange behavior. It’s time to act.”
Copyright © 2022 KABC Television, LLC. All rights reserved.